Friday, November 3, 2017

Thor Ragnarok Movie Review

Awesome! Perhaps my new favorite MCU movie, yet. A humorous-serious epic movie that plays to the strengths of both MCU characters, Thor, played by Chris Hemsworth of course, and Banner/Hulk, played by Mark Ruffalo, with help from Lou Ferrigno. [Pun recognized after the fact and made me smile, so I left it in.] I laughed many good belly laughs at this ultimately sad movie about loss. The writers, Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, deserve a pat on the back for a funny, yet moving script for the actors to work from. The comedic timing was spot on. But the real credit for this revamping of the Thor character from the more serious Thor: The Dark World back to a lovable buffoon, who is sometimes clever and wise, goes to Chris
Hemsworth himself. Apparently hosting Saturday Night Live and doing the Ghostbuster's reboot gave him a taste for improvising that the director, Taika Waititi, let him run with. Kudos all around for that decision! I say 'back to' because this version of Thor is much more consistent with the Thor of the Norse myths. [Even if the genealogy of Odin's family is way off.] Taika Waititi really managed to pack a wallop of a story into just 2 hrs and 10 min of movie without compromising the brilliant humor.
Instead of what we've come to expect from almost all Hollywood action movies, the female characters here weren't dumbed down or shown as weak or fearful. In fact both Hela, played by Cate Blanchett, and the Valkyrie, played by Tessa Thompson, were not only superbly acted, but kick-ass choreographed in the battles. It's refreshing to see that at least Asgardian women know how to be fully developed characters. I even saw a few random Asgardian women lifting swords to fight off attackers.
According to my husband, a long time Thor comic book reader, this movie offers great fan service to the readers with cameos of Beta Ray Bill [It was so short, I missed it.] and the Warriors Three defending Asgard in Thor's absence. This movie was an all around hit with my family. My 13 year old son says, “I think Marvel is really starting to learn what fans like.” Though he likes Spiderman Homecoming better.

Spoilers Alert!

The inclusion of Dr. Strange, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, was unnecessary [though fun] for the plot of this movie, but it's just there to build up to the eventual showdown with Thanos that will draw several MCU story lines together.
Karl Urban as Skurge was a great casting choice. [Though I miss the Thor like look he sported in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Return of the King.] His deep soulful expressions when he is thinking things through really brought a character that I wouldn't normally identify with at all to a good place where I cheered for his redemption.
I wonder what happened to Sif, played by Jamie Alexander? She's included in the cast list. Perhaps we'll see her in an extended edition. My husband pointed out with admiration that in fact there really isn't a romance happening at all in this movie.
I love seeing Thor and Bruce Banner trying to figure out Alien technology.
Fenrir was a good addition to the mix. Adding more of the Norse myth is always good. [His Odin's family genealogy is not mentioned either.] The whole inclusion of the back story on the Valkyrie and the younger darker Odin were a great nod to the myths.
It was nice to see Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston, helping out. I loved hearing Thor tell the stories of him and Loki as kids together. I liked having Thor clever enough to see through Loki's shape changing and astral projections. I suspect Thor of using reverse psychology on his brother to get his help. Tricksters hate being predictable. In some strange way I think Loki actually loves his brother deeply, despite his compulsive betrayals. It's nice seeing a more developed Loki.
I feel the loss of Mjolnir, the city of Asgard, Odin and Thor's eye deeply. I must say, though, that the look works on Thor and makes a moving connection between father and son as the One-eyed god is an iconic name for Odin. I predict we will see Mjolnir again, perhaps in the hands of Beta Ray Bill.
I'm super eager to see this again and for the next installment. 

What did you think about the movie? Please comment below and let me know!


No comments: