Friday, April 18, 2014

Easter and Mythological Humanoids # 13 - Flower Fairies

Easter is amazing!

The celebration of the Resurrection of Christ from the dead is perfectly placed this time of year as the new life of spring reinvigorates everything.

I'm not sure there is much I can add to this wonderful holiday.

Here's pictures of some of the ornaments we hang on the cross during Lent to prepare for Easter.

They are mostly from the Rosary's Joyous and Sorrowful Mysteries.

We retell the Bible stories they are associated with.


Here is a Lent map that I designed with each day of Lent marked out. I hang in on the frig and made foot shaped magnets that the kids move each day as they journey toward Easter. I've included a close up of Holy Week.







Mythological Humanoids # 13 - Flower Fairies

This is the perfect time to talk about these little humanoids. One of my biggest differences of opinion with my favorite author, Tolkien,  is his disapproval of flower fairies. Perhaps it's more of a girl thing, but I think these little creatures are delightful.

 Here are some of the fairy dolls I've made out of sculpy to help me visualize some of the characters in my stories.

And some of the books I've collected about fairies.

Cicely Mary Barker's flower fairies are the most popular, if goggle searches count, but there are flower fairies in Japan and Disney's fairies are flower related.

Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream has fairies named for flowers who care for them, too. I love the humor that Shakespeare and others associate with fairies.

Scandinavian elves, that I have  connected to fairies in a previous post, are closely related to the Vanir, wise fertility gods who see the future.

The connection to fertility would explain why most pictures of fairies are scantily clad. Even Disney's Tinker Bell has a really short skirt.

This is a consideration if one is interested in fairy art. There is often large quantities of revealing skin. It is possible to find modest fairy art, if care is taken, but it is also good to be open to the artistic appreciation of the human body made popular by classical Greeks.

How do you and your family celebrate the new life of spring?

No comments: