Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Movie review - Wonder Woman (better late than never)

(PG – 13) (2hrs 21 mins) I went into this movie not expecting much because after all, it's DC. If you read my last post, you'd know that I find almost all DC comics to take themselves too seriously. Many of the parodies of DC heroes, Lego Batman, How It Should Have Ended You Tube parodies, etc, are hilarious because it's so easy to poke fun at DC heroes' overly dramatic and pompous lines. This movie, though, knocked it out of the park. The director, Patty Jenkins, did a fabulous job. The star, Gal Gadot, playing Diana / Wonder Woman, was amazing! I had never seen her before. How she managed to look so young, fresh and innocent, I'll never know. She had me buying that she was a young immigrant from an Amazonian Island and had never seen modern civilization before she went with Steve Trevor, played by Chris Pine, to England to stop the war. Chris Pine who played Captain James Kirk in the Star Trek reboot makes a far better Steve Trevor than he did Captain Kirk, but I'm bias having loved William Shatner's Captatin Kirk way more than Lyle Wagggoner's Steve Trevor. While I'm on the TV series The New Adventures of Wonder Woman (1975-9), having loved Lynda Carter's Diana, I was dubious whether her
performance could be topped. Gal Gadot blew my doubts away. She looked enough like Lynda Carter that I could give her a try, but her acting was superb, surpassing my every expectation.

My one complaint of the movie was that the main villain ***SPOILERS*** Sir Patrick Morgan / Ares played by David Thewlis looked old and decidedly unpowerful. I loved David Thewlis as Harry Potter's Professor Lupin, but here he just isn't Ares, Greek God of War, material. That kicked me way out, though not so much that I couldn't ***END SPOILERS*** enjoy the movie's ending and solid deliverance of a great message.

Having been so impressed with Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman, we decided to check out Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, even though we're not DC fans and it got terrible reviews. 

***WARNING*** Don't bother. It was far worse than everyone said, even though it had big name actors among the large supporting staff such as: Jeremy Irons, Holly Hunter and Kevin Costner. The main actors Ben Afleck, playing Batman, and Henry Cavill, playing Superman, did alright, though Henry Cavill was a far cry from Christopher Reeves's Superman in 1978. But really they had a lousy script to work with and a blind director, Zack Snyder. I will probably never go see another film directed by him again. But ultimately the idea for the movie was bankrupt from the very start. It's the juvenile idea of: Batman v Superman, battle to the death, who would win? Go!

How could anyone write a good story or script, direct a good movie or do a good job acting with an idea that's so lame to begin with? Whoever bought the pitch of this idea for a story was clearly reliving his 9 year old fantasy and should never have bothered to waste so much time, money and resources in such a... [please insert your own vanilla comparison that lacks the vitriol of my original words involving mashing and baby spit up.] It was slow, ponderous and mostly incoherent. And to add insult to injury, Gal Gadot was hardly even in it and had almost nothing to do with the plot, except some lame attempt to imply the Justice League was forming because of this... [please insert another vanilla comparison involving fertilizer.] Though she did do a good job in the few seconds of screen time that she got. In fact if it wasn't for the decent performances of her and Ben Afleck, I would have seriously considered destroying the library's DVD, and paying the fine of course, to save the world the disappointment of watching this movie, but that would be censorship. I guess bad movies have a right to exist too.

All of this to say, despite Wonder Woman being a DC movie, I highly recommend seeing it. I almost as highly recommend not seeing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. It's all DC in spades, taking itself way too seriously. Maybe DC needs to employ Patty Jenkins to direct more of their movies, like the up coming Justice League one. If that happened I would give DC another shot.

Did you see the movie? What did you think of it?


No comments: