Friday, May 1, 2015

Movie Review - The Avengers – Age of Ultron

Just a quick post to recommend the new Avengers movie, Age of Ultron. My family and I went to see it last night. All of us left fully satisfied, except for the one thing. Take my warning, don't wait until the end of the credits to get a final scene. Half the theater audience waited for the last funny scene. Someone even yelled out as the rest started to leave, “It's not over.” We all groaned when the last thing before a dark screen was the print printed words : the Avengers will return. There was a bit of grumbling as people filed out of the theater, but we got over it quickly, because the movie had been great.


I'm not a big fan of the how-many-expolsions-can-you-pack-in-a-minute style of movie. Marvel movies tend toward this genre, but sometimes the plot and characters are worth sitting through the whole explosion per heartbeat movie. I've refused to attend some Marvel movies because the plot and character development are too thin.

I think the Avengers are worth the explosion count I have to wait through. Age of Ultron in particular worked for me. I feel like I got to know some of the characters far better in a one movie than I did in several of the others. Hawkeye was a character I felt had previously been flat and annoying, even though I wanted to like him because he's an archer. Well, this movie changed that. I won't share how. No spoilers.
Age of Ultron introduced several new characters effectively without compromising the plot and character development of the other characters. That's hard to do in the short space of a two hour and twenty-two minute movie. Kudos to Joss Whedon, the director, but we are coming to expect no less from him. He's put out so much good material in the past.

The language isn't always clean, but it is a PG-13 movie about war and fighting. So I recommend this movie for family viewing if you're not concerned about comic book level violence and language.

No comments: